I am pretty excited about this weekend. I get to spend it hanging out with my best friend. We met in Hawaii in 1995. I moved there from Kansas and she moved from Colorado. We were freshmen in college and both looking for work. As luck would have it we both took a job at the Seasider Grill. It was not the most glamorous job but it did help us make money. I have to admit that we got off on the wrong foot which probably had something to do with our backgrounds. I grew up in Los Angeles. I was use to the beach, Disneyland and shopping. She grew up in a tiny town in Colorado with “hippy” parents and was use to hiking, camping and folk singing. While our outside appearances were starkly different; we were actually quite similar on the inside. We both wanted pretty much the same things out of life and in some ways we were the ying and the yang to each other. A good balance if you ask me.
So what do you with a 21-year-old friendship to celebrate? Not much different from when we met. We will most likely spend our day talking about every topic under the sun. Give each other encouragement to keep going with the chaos of our lives. Discover a new place while we visit an old haunt and probably sneak a treat in to cap the day off.
To commemorate the weekend, spark memories, and generally feel older; I thought I would list the top 5 songs of 1995.
Enjoy your friendships!!
- Gangsta Paradise by Coolio
- Waterfalls by TLC
- Creep by TLC
- Kiss From a Rose by Seal
- On Bended Knee by Boyz II Men
We survived the super hot weather . . . whew! it was a close one 🙂 But that did leave me with cooking without the oven this week and excited about going to the beach this weekend. So here is a recap of things I tried new this week and this weekend.
- Turkey Zucchini Burger with Tahini Sauce by Clean Eating Magazine. They were wonderful and refreshing. It was summer in a pita!
- Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps by Skinny Taste. Not going to lie; the house smelled wonderful as it cooked in the crock-pot all day. I did make one small change; instead of any salad dressing I just used a little bit of sour cream. It was nice not having a dressing covering up the taste of the chicken.
- Chicken Power Bowls with Crispy Baked Garbanzo Beans by Iowa Girl Eats. I have been making and remaking these bowls for a long time now. I just love them!
- Summer Breakfast Quinoa Bowl by Skinny Taste. I actually ate mine cold and it was great. I didn’t add sugar but stuck with just the honey and fresh fruit. It is very filling and a great way to start the morning.
- Cannon Beach Sandcastle Contest 2016. I can’t wait for this weekend because this is where you will find me. I love spending time at the ocean but I also love seeing the art behind sandcastles. Look for pictures next week!
To finish this post off right; here are some pictures from my many activities over the last couple of weeks. Remember to get outside and enjoy summer!!
Welcome to summer!
I am super excited!
I love summer!
I know some of you will think I am crazy given the fact that summer usually equals hot but for some reason I would rather figure out how to stay cool then the flipside of this argument (winter hasn’t been my friend for a number of years). This weekend in Portland it is supposed to be summer with a BANG! That’s right—100 degree weather for those of us that are going to brave the heat for the Portland Rose Festival activities. So below are my top 5 things right now that I need in order to stay cool during Summer 2016. What do you need to stay cool this year?
- Mojitos: Love this drink!! Try this recipe from Live Like You Are Rich
- Swimming Pool: EVERYONE needs a pool in their backyard. Try one of these on for size. (Pool without dogs is from Beauty Harmony Life)
- Maxi Dress: Because what would summer be without the perfect one. Thank you to Fashion Moment!
- Hair Clips & Bandannas: Yes please! With long hair; it has to go up when it is hot out. See all of the designs with bandannas at Pretty Designs.
- Ice Cream: Come on . . . didn’t everyone love the ice cream truck when you were little? Repeat after me . . . ice cream is our friend! See this recipe at Kitchen Treaty.