This post is a little unfair since I can think of a gazillion songs that get me hooked to the beat within the first couple of notes. Why I choose the songs below—there really is no rhyme or reason to it except you will notice that I am focusing on a particular time frame. This one is for you Mom (and I would also like to point out that the music, clothing and hair is no better in that decade than other decades—we all make mistakes). LOL!
The last 2 months have been full of the ups and downs in love for those around me. When I say the ups and downs . . . I really mean, the ups and downs. There has been weddings, engagements, new relationships and unfortunately, breakups as well. So to help with all the emotional places our hearts are going right now; here are 5 songs for each situation. Let me know if you have a favorite song for one of the situations below!
- The “this is going to last forever love” song
- The “oh no you did not (cheating) love” song
- The “I really, really, really like him love” song
- The “I can’t wait for you to meet my parents love” song
- The “we have been doing this for a long time but I can’t imagine being with anyone else love” song
This month my oldest niece is turning 12 and that is pretty significant. It is the end of being ‘the kid’ and that start of being a teenager. Music has always played a big part in my life and I know that for my niece, it is no different. So in honor of her birthday; here are 5 of my favorite songs the year that I was 12.
- Richard Marx: Right Here Waiting I loved this song so much that I even learned how to play it on the piano.
- The B-52’s: Love Shack is this song really this old? Wow, I really am getting old!
- Janet Jackson: Rhythm Nation Yeah, so I was a HUGE fan of Janet Jackson during this time. This was song was one that I constantly rewound the tape to listen to.
- Tom Petty: Free Fallin’ During this time I developed a deep love and appreciation for Tom Petty and it continues to this day.
- Young MC: Bust A Move Just so everyone knows, I still listen to this song to this day while working out.
According to Google; an anthem is a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body or cause. Interesting.
We have all heard anthems throughout our lives. We have patriotic anthems such as the Star Spangled Banner. We have high school anthems. We have Christmas anthems. The list goes on.
I am also pretty sure each of you have your own personal anthem as well. If you don’t, it wouldn’t hurt to get one. It helps motivate and encourage action and is a great way to boost serotonin in your brain (the happy feeling).
Here are some that I like to get you going on finding your anthem.
- (Yes, this one is mine) Aretha Franklin: Respect
- Sia: Unstoppable
- Beatles: All You Need Is Love
- Gloria Gaynor: I Will Survive
- Joseph: White Flag