I was thinking about how I travel differently today then say 15 years ago and one of the biggest differences is not staying in a hotel anymore. Don’t get me wrong—some hotel chains are great and in some areas you really want to stay in a hotel but aside from business trips—I really try to not stay in hotels anymore.
I am (and always have been) the type of traveler that loves to get into the local culture. I take walks in the local neighborhood, shop at the grocery store, and try to make new friends with the locals. So when Airbnb started, I thought it was the best thing on the planet.
Airbnb offers better rates than hotel chains, it gives you the opportunity to stay with locals and you will always be staying somewhere unique. Your experience with Airbnb will be as unique as you want it to be.
Now I do have to say that not all of my Airbnb stays have been exceptional. My experiences have run the spectrum of rating but nothing has been horrible. I also have to add the disclaimer that this isn’t for everyone and that is okay too. Luckily, there are tons of places and types that you can choose from anywhere in the world.
Here are 5 places that I am currently looking at for a trip I hope to make before the end of the year.
We have officially made it to summer and that includes summer road trips. I actually really like road trips because it gives me time to think through things if I am travelling alone or to have really good conversations when I am with people. Aside from the conversations–there are certain things that you need in order to survive being in the car for an extended prior of time. Here are my top 5 items that I need in order to make it from point A to point B.
- Sunglasses are ALWAYS a must in fact I have 3 in my car so that my passengers who fail to bring theirs, will still have a pair. This pair sounds like a good bet.
- I am a huge believer in staying hydrated and soda isn’t the way to do it. Whenever I drink soda, I actually end up thirstier then before. So I always have water in my car. I have 1 bottle of water as a back up and my Contigo water bottled filled whenever I can.
- I have Kleenex in my car at all times but I really hate having napkins in my car. I find them cluttery and an eyesore but I do recognize that they are needed on road trips especially when there are kids in the car. Wipes even do a better job.
- Sometimes you really need to relieve the boredom by playing ridiculous car games. We usually play the alphabet game where you look for a word on a sign that starts with the letter you need and try to beat out the others in the car. There is also the license plate game where we not only try to see a license plate from every state but we always try to see one from all the states we have lived in. From there it is 20 questions, never have I ever, etc.
- Music can be the great equalizer and I make sure my car is filled with tons of music so there is no shortage of tunes to spin. Play a game with the songs but always remember to have fun. Here is a song to get you started.