Do you find yourself getting up in the morning just to go to work and then come home exhausted and really the only thing you want to do is stay inside and rest? Is the only time you spend outside the walking you do to your car, to a building, to your home? There are a lot of people like you. The unfortunate part is that you are missing out on the beauty of life. Nature shows us that beauty every moment of every day.
Stop missing out! Here are 5 tips to spend more time outside connecting.
- Realize that it doesn’t have to be long. If you need to, set a timer on your phone for 5 minutes and then just stand outside. Pay attention to the air around, listen for a bird, stare at the grass, tree, or flower growing. Take 5 deep breaths and then guess what–you are done. You can go inside. The beauty of starting short is that you realize it is short but it is revitalizing. You will naturally add more time once you get into the habit of doing it.
- When taking a lunch break, eat outside and not in the building or in your car.
- Take a walk. Once again this doesn’t have to be long. Make a goal for 20 minutes. You don’t even need to change your clothes or shoes for this short of time.
- Realize that you don’t need “equipment” to be outside. There are items that make being outside more enjoyable but you don’t need fancy patio furniture, a body monitoring watch, or even another person to step outside.
- Pay attention to what parks or trails are nearby your work or home–get to know them. Being in nature doesn’t require you to drive somewhere far away in order to enjoy it.