I have been so transitory lately that I have messed up my sleeping habits to NO end. It seems I am going to bed by 10 but waking up by 2 every morning. My problem is–once I am up, I am up. Horribly frustrating!
So I have decided to share with you the things that do help me fall asleep (once I figure out how to fall back asleep after over thinking something, I will share).
- Temperature–you need to know what your optimal sleep temperature is and then adjust your sleeping space accordingly. That could mean turning on the AC/heat, opening a window, turning on a fan, wearing the right layer of clothing to be or even what sheets are on your bed. Here are some sheets that I like.
- Noise/Lack Of–some people need and others don’t. I prefer silence from city noises but I don’t mind nature noise. I sleep peaceful with thunder, rain, crickets, you name it but I really can’t handle the sound of cars, trains or general traffic. Lately I have been into sleeping meditations that help my mind shut down. Here is a website you could try
- Essential Oils–have you ever tried to sleep after a meal has been cooked in your house and it still smells like the food? Bacon might smell okay when being cooked but it makes a house reek by the end of the day. It is a lot nicer going to bed with a sleep that lulls you into sleep. Take a look at The Prairie Homestead for some ideas.
- Clothing–make sure you wear the right clothing to bed. Somethings are better for other activities and do not equate to a goodnight’s rest. I have been known in winter to sleep with socks on because it is too hard for my body to warm up and fall asleep. I make sure I wear socks that I can kick off without waking up then the next morning I fish them out of the bedding. Here are a suggestion for socks.
- Hair Ties–this is for everyone with long hair like me. My hair is a big pain in the butt while sleeping because I can rollover and end up pulling it or having it around my neck or in my face. I can’t stand my hair everywhere so I tie it up on top of my head during the night and these ties work the best.