I am sure all of you get to December and you start asking those around you if certain traditions will still be going on this year. It could be the annual neighborhood party, decorating the Christmas tree on December 1st, re-enacting the nativity, or reading ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve; each of us has certain traditions that we like to keep.
What are your traditions?
Some of my Christmas traditions have morphed as I’ve gotten older. They have been adapted for different situations such as nieces/nephews, living oversea, or celebrating away from home. Here are some of my traditions that I like and want to keep around for years to come.
- Baking holiday goodies to take to all of the people who I love (not necessarily caroling; I can’t sing). This year I would like to try this recipe by Creative Home Cooking.
- Having appetizers for dinner on either Christmas Eve or Christmas depending on which day works better for the traditional Christmas dinner. This year I am going to make this recipe from Lemon Tree Dwelling.
- Opening one present on Christmas Eve with it usually being new pajamas or a book. If you guys have never order pajamas from Pajamagram, you have been missing out.
- Turning off all of the lights in the house except for the Christmas lights and basking in their peaceful glow. I think this is one of the best things about December. Love this image from The Curious Bumblebee.
- Watching at least one sappy holiday Hallmark movie so I can roll my eyes and laugh with my girlfriends about. I mean no disrespect to Hallmark. I actually think it is great that they create movies that everyone can sit down and watch without being worried about something being inappropriate. At the same time, some of the endings make me roll my eyes and laugh out loud. This year I don’t have the Hallmark channel so I am making do with Netflix. I have managed to watch A Christmas Prince and the quota has been met for the year. Enjoy watching it!