So apparently I am on a kick with getting the “stuff” out of my life. I downsized when I moved to Oregon and I have kept up the desire to continue getting rid of the stuff that doesn’t serve a real purpose in my life.
My first purge was following the rule of a third. That wasn’t super difficult. I had moments of panic but really a lot of the stuff that went on the first purge was just stuff that needed to leave anyways and I already knew it.
I learned during that purge and the subsequent months after that I don’t need a lot and spending money on “stuff” was just filling a void in other areas of my life. So I turned over a new leaf and became mindful about why I wanted to buy something and significantly curbed my spending habits. My bank account has breathed a sigh of relief!
I then helped family move and downsize as well and it just pushed me to purging more at my own place. I want to know exactly what I have in my house and I want to know that it has a business being there.
I have learned 5 new things during this purge. Hopefully it will be helpful to you as well!
- If you haven’t worn a piece of clothing in 6 months–you won’t wear it . . . guaranteed!
- Know what is in your file drawers. I bet you have more items saved for the “just in case” scenario then you actually need.
- If you have to purchase a container to store items that will have an eventual use; you probably don’t need any of it. Case in point–I have a container of recipe books apart from the 2 cupboards in the kitchen that have recipe books. Do you know how often I look at cookbooks when I have Pinterest at my fingertips? Next to never.
- Just because you have empty drawers in a dresser doesn’t mean they need to be filled with stuff. In fact, get rid of the dresser if you don’t really need it.
- Organize and collect your similar items so you know exactly how much you have of something. I hadn’t really unpacked my jewelry since moving which means I wasn’t wearing any of it. If I wanted to wear something–I went and bought it new. I finally unpacked and organized all of my jewelry and realized that I could purge at least a 1/3 of it and I definitely don’t need anymore at this time.